Sunday, March 03, 2013

Through the Eyes of Les Miserables


                                    Through the Eyes of Les Miserables

 

 

To quote Victor Hugo then in the epic of Les Miserables “…and we abandon ourselves to the care of Providence. That is the way one has to do with a man who possesses grandeur of soul.”

 

In this case the woman speaking is the sister of the great Bishop of her Dioceses. He is not great because he is so learned and is not so learned as to command great things. His grandeur lay in his simplicity and care for his public. He was the same debating heads of state as he was when treating the sick. And his door was always open, nothing but a small latch to keep it closed. No locks, no keys. Such was the Bishop’s trust in divine Providence that he would be taken care of. He, and the welfare of the two women that served him. As Bishop he had much at his disposal but as such he wanted nothing and took nothing as his return. He truly was a man that possessed grandeur in his soul.

 

If a survey were sent, one that happened to inquire about the belief we hold out for divine Providence, I wonder where I would put my mark? At this point I know where that mark would reside, firmly dead center. I believe, but not quite believe that everything comes from the Maker. At this point I still want to believe that some things come about because I had sufficient cause to initiate them. Fool. What does it profit a man to gain the world while losing his soul?

 

I believe that all of us fall somewhere in that median range when it comes to abandonment. We all want to hang on to the things that matter most to matter. Food clothing and the like are great luxuries which are taken for granted on a daily basis, but please, to digress, these are not the things we are concerned for the most and most likely because they are the most common necessities. What I believe most concerns us is honor, position -our own weight in the world.

 

These things make the monkey out of me in my own struggle to conquer the world at every, single, turn. I cannot fight the world and tire of fighting myself so that leaves me with fighting as Don Quixote did with his windmills. The trick is not to fight then. The trick is to be. But how does one just be I might ask. Is it written in the Sanskrit of Indian Literature, do I find that peace in Yoga, or do I find my peace in letting go and letting God be who and what he say’s He is?

 

It is the most difficult of tasks to let oneself go. And yet, we did this as children. At the pool, on the swing, we trusted our fathers to not let us down. Perhaps in the end some did. I know I have. But that great loving Father in heaven never will, never has, and as impossible as it might seem, never could let you down.

 

So we stand at the crossroad. Me and God, which will it be? How much do I need and depend on myself and how much of this am I willing to give over? Tough question as it requires the dying of self to achieve the perfect adherence to God’s eternal sacrifice for you and I. I only hope that after this Lent is done that I can look forward and believe that there is nothing impossible for this God and nothing I’ve done is possible for me alone. In hope then is where I would reside, hope and sacrifice for my good and the good of those around me.  They need that- I am here. Thank God!

No comments: