Sunday, March 03, 2013

The Feeling of Christmas


                                                   The Feeling that is Christmas

 

 

It is an honorable under-taking; God become man yet, there is something so commonplace about it all that I believe we have missed the point.

 

As we all know, Jesus became flesh on Christmas Eve and by that very knowing we also know that he will carry his cross one day and die an ignoble death. But that is the very place we stop knowing. Knowing him, knowing the pains of such a birth to such a death. Knowing.

 

Is it enough to know a present, or must you not also know the giver?

 

Is it enough to know the giver of the present, or must we not also know that He gave us all He had?

 

Can I honor that gift with my own blood? No? Yet he did. Am I less than my master? No?

But he was. And I am called to be like him; no- to become Him. My master.

 

Is that such a hard concept for the world to accept, that I should have a master?

 

Have we been so liberated that the master has come into his own by the very body and blood we share, that I could never be anything more than the God of my own universe?

 

Heaven’s to Betsy Mary, not that!

 

I will concede that the difficulty lay in the fact that we are nothing more than human. That is the difficulty we face. But there is something else that allows us the connection, the ability to rise above mere human difficulties and take the heavens by storm.

 

It is that very same ignoble life and death of the redeemer that redeems us from the womb unto death. In Him I find my strength, in Him alone, my birth, life and death.

 

And from that simple birth springs forth all I need for Christmas this year. Everything I want has already been given and the only thing left is for me to accept it.

 

Jesus has a no return policy; all sales are final. Even if rejected once or twice that filial love is still there waiting and panting after each and every one of us, as Tiny Tim would say.

 

Let us say yes this Christmas season. And may the God of inexpressible joy lead you on to your heavenly reward.

 

 

 

 

No comments: