Sunday, March 03, 2013

On the Ever Changing Notion of the Ever Changing


                              On the Ever Changing Notion of the Ever Changing.

 

 

We can admit to certain crimes but certainly not all of them; or so we think.

I admit them all the time whether I meant too or not. To some who may not even understand.

 

As a catholic I tell my priest each week the nature and volume of my sins in the confessional. But I tell all those whom I meet everyday the exact nature of my wrongs. The why of it is in the how.

 

The how of it lies just below the surface and the depth of its weight will not be kept down. The depth is part of the great misunderstanding which connects us whenever we meet and I am less than human for however brief our appointment. What I mean is, my bad day should not become yours.

 

Now, being fully human, I make mistakes, as I am sure you can relate to for only humans make mistakes and animals do not envy this aspect of our nature. Yet the greatest mistakes we make are not found in the confessional but rather on the streets, in the town, even (gasp) at Wal-Mart.

 

When in a hurry we push past our human family, cut through lines or even curse their very existence. No. The greatest sins are those of impatience. For our fellow man yes, but even more so with us. Do you know how long it took Paul to become a saint? A lifetime. But he did it each and every day and each and every day I am positive he said something like “Lord, I do believe, please help my unbelief.”

 

Belief takes courage, belief in yourself takes humility and humility takes knowledge. Knowledge of just how far we have to go, humility to know that we aren’t quite there and courage to confess to one another our multitudinous sins.

 

That last part is the everyday criterion that this segment is all about. I would like to say that we are beyond this yet everyday I confront myself and recognize how far from the mark I really am and I have to wonder at the rest of the world. Are they far from the mark, do they really see beyond and over to the one thing necessary to redeem us from the constancy of that which we really are? In a word, is there hope? I think so. And I pray you think the same. Really, pray.

 

For peace in your life and if you do, the prince of peace prays that you have peace with those around you.

 

 

There are no confessionals that I know of in the marketplace and maybe you don’t quite need one. But everyday we draw a little closer to the Christ Child each and every time we speak that peace that eludes us so very often. Speak peace, and speak volumes.

 

No comments: